Friday, October 3, 2008

MY BLOODY VALENTINE

Well the day finally came when myself and my old friend Fernando got to see MBV. I remember hearing about when they played The Roxy that they were voted the loudest band to ever play. Folklore? maybe, but last nights show at the Santa Monica Civic gave me the idea that they could very well hold that title. I had been seeing footage of their reunion tours and reading about the arsenal of gear they were bring with them. I'm gonna say though, it wasn't THAT loud. I mean yes Kevin was fucking aiming 3 stacks and some combos at us and Belinda had a half stack and combo but maybe I'm deaf already??? Everyone is going on about the noise break in "...realize" and for good reason. Fernando said it best, "Imagine the space shuttle taking off right outside your house." I didn't use ear plugs. I had to use them during the noise part because Kevin was switching on a wah and the treble frequency was just too much to take. I have a short video of it that I'll put up later. What really just got me was the execution of the guitars that Belinda and Kevin portrayed. All these ghost melodies and bends that you think they are doing it but you don't see them making the sound. Maybe prerecorded, maybe not. Maybe they were bending notes with their fingers? I don't know but it was so beautiful to finally see them. All the offsets they had were just gorgeous. A lot of Belinda's guitars are custom jobs by this Italian guitar maker. By the way, I don't know how old she is but good lord she looked so beautiful. I was in awe how she was attacking her tremolo bar I just find it hard to describe. I listened to some of loveless today and after last night the music makes even more sense. It was nice to see fellow fans like members of Die Rockers Die and Ojos Rojos. It was a great night and I think just maybe they only gazed at their shoes like 2 or 3 times.....






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bilinda is 47. She has a 22 year old son. Quite possibly the coolest mum ever.

scumfactor said...

I was actually more surprised that the tremolo bar bends were in time rather than just random. I was watching Kevin the whole time during When You Sleep and the strumming and the bends were totally in time with rhythm. Regardless, it was a fucking great show. I was looking for you guys but I didn't see anybody that night. I saw Max and Izzy the night before but didn't get chance to say hello to them.